Autumn in the Finger Lakesposted by Brian Kolb on Friday September 27th 3:36pm
The beginning of autumn presents an excellent opportunity for families in the Finger Lakes to take some time out from their busy schedules to enjoy the beauty of nature. Family members young and old can marvel at the changing leaves and enjoy all the preparations and warm, treasured memories that go along with celebrating Halloween, Veterans Day and Thanksgiving. In this week’s column, I want to share some fun fall activities that will help you to enjoy the picturesque Finger Lakes landscape with your loved ones.
ENJOY THE NATURAL BEAUTY OF NY’S FALL FOLIAGE
From leaf peeping to visits to local wineries and cooking dishes filled with delicious local fall produce, the Finger Lakes region really shines during the fall months. The changing seasons highlight the unique natural landscape and unparalleled outdoor recreational opportunities that we’re fortunate to have right outside our doors. Opportunities abound, and I encourage you to enjoy some of the memorable sights and activities right here in the Finger Lakes Region.
- Setting off for a walk with the family? Get the latest fall foliage updates at http://fallgetaways.iloveny.com/LANDING_FOLIAGE_REPORT.html.
- Nature lovers - be sure to take along this the Leaf Identifier, a handy guide to New York leaves, on your next fall foliage walk. Challenge the kids to see how many different types of leaves they can find. The Leaf Identifier can be found at http://fallgetaways.iloveny.com/LANDING_LEAF_IDENTIFIER.html.
TAKE A DAY TRIP WITH THE FAMILY IN THE FINGER LAKES
The leaves are changing. The air is crisp. Fruits and vegetables from the fall harvest are arriving at nearby farmers’ markets. Celebrating fall is an excellent excuse to get on the road and pay a visit to a few of the beautiful towns in our region. Here are some day trip ideas to get you started:
- The Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion in Canandaigua will hold “Fall Pleasures” today and tomorrow (September 27 and 28). Enjoy the work of 10 neighboring garden clubs, including floral designs, horticulture and floral crafts displayed throughout the mansion, carriage house and grounds. For more information, visit www.sonnenberg.org.
- You can visit Naples Saturday and Sunday (September 28 and 29) to take part in the Naples Grape Festival and celebrate everything grape at the Memorial Town Hall Park in Naples, NY. The event includes all sorts of grape foods, arts, crafts, live music, a wine tasting tent and the Grape Pie Contest. For information, visit www.naplesgrapefest.org.
- Woodlawn Cemetery in Canandaigua will hold the Wine and Spirits at Woodlawn Tour on October 5. This event will benefit the restoration efforts of the 1909 Mary Clark Thompson Chapel at the Woodlawn Cemetery. For more information, visit www.woodlawncemeterycca.org/.
- Visit the Granger Homestead and Carriage Museum in Canandaigua from November 8 to 10 to experience the Christkindl Market. Enjoy more than 100 regional artisans, German food along with traditional fare, wine and “Gideon’s Grog” at this unique local gem. For information, visit www.grangerhomestead.org.
- Lastly, the Finger Lakes Visitor’s Connection website is a great guide to events in the Finger Lakes. For information visit http://visitfingerlakes.com/events/.
SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS IN THE FINGER LAKES THIS FALL
Whether you and your family are attending a community event, traveling down the road a few miles to enjoy the fall colors or buying delicious produce at a local farmers market, I’d like to offer you a heartfelt “thank you” for supporting our local small businesses. We have the good fortune to be surrounded by some of the most beautiful areas and hardest-working farmers and small business owners in the country. Visiting our local businesses and buying from area farmers will ensure that our communities remain vibrant for years to come.